Monday, June 12, 2006

Day 12 - I forgot a few steps

Monday, our last sightseeing day in London. We leave tomorrow on a 1:00 pm flight. I'll be glad to get home. It's been exciting and fun seeing new sights, but the city is really busy and I long for the quietness of my house and backyard. And I miss my family.

Today we visited St. Paul's Cathedral. It is incredibly beautiful. We had a wonderful tour guide who took extra time with us and showed us much more than he had to. It was the most grand cathedral I have ever seen, and I would think that only St. Peter's in Rome would top it. We took the stairs (yes, more steps! Over 400 in all!) to almost the top to get a great view of the city. I didn't go an extra 152 steps to the very top. Bob had already been to the top on a previous visit to London, so I didn't think I was cheating him out of it. My legs were shaky by the time we got to the very end. But it was worth it. The tour was extremely interesting and at times, evangelistic. The guide referenced paintings around the cathedral that depicted the gospel story. Very moving. After St. Paul's, we went over to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. Another good tour. Then on to the Tower of London again where we finally got a "Beefeaters'" tour of the Bloody Tower and all the gory stories. We then went back to Buckingham Palace for a closer view. We couldn't get in, but did get some better pictures. We were all over town on the tube and buses. Oh, and up and down, more steps! Back at the hotel, we had some complimentary drinks and snacks. Feeling a craving for something sweet, we hopped on a bus and went to, of all places, McDonalds! For a McFlurry. Yes, the last night in London and we go to McDonalds. But this was a nice McDonalds, complete with cushy, arm chairs (like Starbucks). I know, it was still McDonalds, but it was in Notting Hill. Then back on a bus to the hotel. So tomorrow, farewell to London. It's been a blast. I'd definitely come back. Hey, we know the tubes and buses now! And my calves have quit burning. See ya!

3 Comments:

Blogger Free and Living said...

Ha ha - it sounds like something I would do. Go to McDonald's on my last night in Europe :)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Work in Progress said...

I like knowing that you two are back at home. And I'm glad to be visiting this weekend.

I love you!

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! i get to see pammie boo twice in one week in two different geographical locations!!!!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home