Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Day 6 - Good Food, Good Conversation

I spent the day in the hotel restaurant's sitting area, catching up on emails, blogs and other "stuff." The people here have been very accomodating, making sure I had enough tea to float me out of here. The food has been very good, not at all what I would call "hotel food." The menu is fairly limited, though, and if we stay here any longer, we may end up eating everything on the menu! (not really) At last night's dinner, Bob and I were sitting with the group from the conference. Three Brits, two Frenchmen, one German and one Israeli. An eclectic group. Everyone spoke English, though for a few it was limiting. But still, I was impressed and again felt ignorant that I only knew one language. We really have no excuse as Americans not to know another language. Is it because we don't see its utility? Anyone doing business internationally should be able to converse in a language other than his or her native language. It makes great business sense. Relationships can be forged much more easily. And really, isn't all about relationships? People respond so much better when they are in their "comfort zone." We can help people feel comfortable by speaking their language. So what's holding us back?

Well, today we get into a car and drive 5 or 6 hours to a town in the southwest part of England. Hopefully we'll get to see some of the countryside (unless I'm napping in the back seat). Bob will visit a customer tomorrow and then we fly to Edinburgh. Well, I'm going to have another cup of tea...talk later!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

to think I took 4 years of French and can't remember a thing. Bon Soir (I think)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Mom, I never knew you took four years! Oh you would have liked hearing these French guys!

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home