Friday, June 09, 2006

Day 9 - Edinburgh

We woke up this morning to what we've been told is pretty typical in Edinburgh, a cloudy fog moving through the city. This is the first cloudy day of our trip. Apparently we've been very fortunate. But it should be lifted by noon. Bob's off with Phil and Paul to visit another customer and then he's done with "business" for this trip! Unfortunately for Bob, this last visit will probably not be as smooth as Marlow has had some difficulty with this customer. Bob's visit will hopefully work out some of the issues and restore some good relationships. Anway...I'm sitting with my laptop in the hotel restaurant, enjoying yet another cup of tea, overlooking the busy street below. I'm going to venture out in a bit. Looks like I may need a jacket for the first time this trip. One thing we noticed on our walk last night are painted statues of cows all over town. Same sculpture, different paint and designs. And they are everywhere. Very colorful. Very fun. We're not sure what the significance is. We'll have to ask.

Does anyone in the U.S. realize that something huge is happening over here in Europe right now? It's the same thing that was happening when Bob and I went to Europe eight years ago. The biggest sporting event in the world. Yes, it's the World Cup. And it is BIG business. It's all over. It's being played in Germany if you aren't a follower of "futbol." And England has gone wild for it. Every pub in the country will be filled with fans come this Saturday when England plays its first game. So when we are back in London for the weekend, it should be quite lively. Trivia: Do you know what "pub" stands for? Short for public house.

Well, I'm off to do some sights before Bob gets back. He should be finished by noon and then he can relax for the remaining part of our trip. I have a feeling he's going to be doing quite a bit of traveling from now on. I'm hoping to be able to accompany him on more trips. Mental note to self: get passport renewed. Learn a language. AND get a lighter suitcase!

5 Comments:

Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

The World Cup was in Germany (I think Germany) when I went there in 2000 and yes, it was big stuff.

I wondered who the nut was sending comments this early in the morning and then realized that it was you - being 6 hours ahead of us! Enjoy your spot of tea!

3:35 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

Actually, the European Cup was in Germany in 2000...the finals were in Amsterdam when I was there, and I love the World Cup. I especially love the long scarves that people wear that have their country's colors on them and intend to pick up several when I'm there in a few weeks.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

The Dutch are nuts about futbol. They are very loud and boisterous and easy to identify in their bright orange. The English kids have been showing their "colors" in their hair. Lots of red dye being used. There's been signs outside of the pubs saying 'don't come in with your colors." I guess they don't want to have any rivals starting trouble. Everywhere you go the TV is on with the games or commentary. Fun!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Work in Progress said...

John and I are tivo-ing games. We're excited about keeping up with the goings-on!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Ahhh...European Cup...I remember now!

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home