Friday, June 09, 2006

Day 8 - More Shopping, More Traveling

While Bob was visiting a customer of Marlow's, I explored the town of Torquey. It's a great pedestrian-friendly town with lots of fun shopping. I only had 2 and 1/2 hours by the time I left the hotel, and had I had more time, and more room in my suitcase, I could have done some damage. But since my suitcase was already over the limit, I knew I couldn't bring back anything with weight. One of my next purchases back in the states, is a better, LIGHTER, suticase! I brought my bigger bag since we were going to be here two weeks. Well, the bag is heavy in itself. We've had difficulty with it being over the 20 kilo limit every time we've checked the bag. So there we are, at the check-in counter, taking things out and trying to place them elsewhere to make the limit. Very frustrating. But a lesson learned about traveling overseas. I'll know better next time. Anway...shopping was fun. They have some different stores here that I enjoyed browsing in. Lots of stores I know Becca and Pam would have loved. They have a "T.K. Maxx" here. Same store as our T.J. Maxx. They just changed the initial.

After Bob's visit, we checked out of the hotel and headed to Bristol Airport to catch a flight to Edinburgh, Scotland. It was only a 50 minute flight on EasyJet airline. It was another beautiful weather day which gave us great sights in Edinburgh. We are staying in a hotel right on one of the busiest city streets with a great view of Edinburgh Castle across a park. We walked over to the castle area to find a place to eat dinner. It's quite a hike up as this area sits high up above the city. The castle was closed for the evening, but Bob and I will visit it either Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. The streets in this area are all cobblestones. The buildings are all very old (I mean, really old!) We've already seen some Scots in kilts. Bob threatened to go into one of the kilt stores and get fitted. I won't tell you what my response was! We ate dinner in a Scottish restaurant. It was a second floor walkup with windows overlooking the street. Very nice meal. Bob tried the tradional dish of "haggis". I was hesitant at first. You have to know what it's made up of. Let's just say it's the leftover parts of an animal. Ground up. But I have to say, it was actually tasty. Bob loves trying new dishes when he's traveling. So the end to another day. Talk later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home