Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Answering some questions

I was running late for school this morning...again. It's been harder and harder to get up early. Lots of excuses. We've been staying up late. One night it was because of an intense Rumikub game with Mish and Steve. Other nights it's been because we were watching the Mavericks play some great basketball. (Last night they went into overtime to finally win the series! I see more late nights in the near future.) Anyway...on my way to work today, I had this song in my head, from worship on Sunday. "I want to be holy. Set apart for you Lord. 'Cause I'm ready to do your will." It got me thinking...am I really ready to do God's will? Do I even know what that means? I say I want to do what God wants me to do. But what if that's not aligned with my desires? So I'm thinking that the desires of my heart should be what God desires for me. That sounds good. Now how do I make that happen? Well I suppose this is where daily communication with God comes into play. How can I know what He wants for me if I don't know Him? How can I know if I don't ask? I have been enjoying Tim's series on "The God You Can Know." I took lots of notes on Sunday. Most of what Tim said I've heard before. But I love it when God delivers a message that is exactly what I need to hear at that specific moment in my life. My heart was open, and He delivered. I shouldn't be surprised, just thankful. So where am I going with all of this? Well, the morning started off with alot of questions. I am looking forward to spending some time this summer searching for some answers. I know one book I can start with. It's been around for awhile and I consider it the truth. Does anyone have any other suggestions for some summer reading?

11 Comments:

Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Boo, Mavericks! But it was a really good series.

Read "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell. It's different, but I really enjoyed it. Also, the classic, "Knowledge of the Holy" by Tozer is amazing. I've read it twice and could read it again and learn something. "Run with the Horses" by Eugene Peterson is great to read along with Jeremiah. I'm reading "A Bend in the Road" by David Jeremiah. It's about life's little "surprises" and finding God when life is difficult. It really speaks to me at this stage in my life. I could go on and on with recommendations! Have fun!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Thanks so much! I was already thinking about the Rob Bell book. Do you think the public libraries might carry it?

2:44 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

I have it and would gladly lend it to you! Just let me know and I can bring it to church. =-)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Ooooh...how about this weekend? I'm going on a trip next week and would love to have it for the long plane ride! You could leave it with Steve in the coffeehouse if we are not at the same service. Thanks a bunch.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another really good one is Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller...

I still need to read Velvet Elvis! Thanks for the insightful blog. I like it, but you forgot to mention that I cleaned up in both intense rounds of Rumikub.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Mish, I read that book already. It was good. But I should probably read it again. My problem is I read for the moment and then I forget. Had this problem since childhood. Oh well...and we need to play again soon so I have a chance to beat you!

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mom, we have velvet elvis. i give you our copy before you leave on the trip. maybe tonight. we need to get rumikub from you.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

You're taking my rumikub game???? Who are you going to play with?

12:19 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

I see Steve is lending you his copy, so I won't bring mine unless you tell me otherwise. Enjoy the read!

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

come to the coffee shop tonight for a mad game of rumikub. i think jay is coming also.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Is that Thursday night? What time? Can I play??

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home