Friday, June 02, 2006

Day Two of UK Trip

Day Two started off very early. Around 4:00 am. We had to catch a 7:00 am flight to Belfast to make a customer visit. It was a 15-minute taxi ride to Gatwick Airport where we met Kieran, another Marlow employee, who was traveling with us to the site. We flew "EasyJet" airline. First time in a very long time where I had to walk outside from the gate to board the airplane. On and off. It was a short, one hour flight. As I was showing the gate attendant my boarding pass, he asked me if I was planning on drinking the two bottles of water that I was carrying on the plane. I looked at him with a puzzled look, thinking maybe I wasn't allowed to bring the water on board. He laughed and said, "Because you'll be spending the whole time in the loo!" Not sure if I spelled that right, but I knew what it meant since I saw "Notting Hill!" I guess that was a bit of British humor. Well, he might have thought he was funny, but the flight attendant on the plane was not. Bob was talking across the aisle with Kieran as the flight attendant was giving the lowdown on the safety procedures. Who really listens to those after all? Well, she apparently didn't like the fact that Bob and Kieran weren't listening, so she walked back to them (it was a packed flight) and gave them a pop quiz on the emergency exits. They were busted. After landing we took a cab (another Ford), to the company site. The countryside was very green and I was pleased to see all the sheep. Sheep are to Ireland as cows are to Texas. Belfast is in a valley surrounded by some mountains, near the sea. The day was beautiful, fortunately for us, as it had been raining much lately.The cab driver pointed out the "Catholic" areas and the "Protestant" areas. He said that people just want to get on with their lives and put the divisions behind. But apparently there are some deep-rooted feelings still very much alive. When we got to the company, we were greeted with some very warm Irish hospitality. I had intended on staying in the lobby while Bob and Kieran met with some people at the company. I had my laptop and thought I'd just work in Word and transfer to my blog when I finally got internet access. Well, they moved me to a nice reception area. Brought me tea, complete with cup and saucer. Asked if I wanted it "white", meaning with milk. When I realized that my adapter would not work (it was one that we brought and it did work other places), they had two different people going all over the building looking to find one to accomodate me. The one gentleman finally came with a power strip that worked. He said, in a lovely Irish accent, that he didn't want to be beat by this. After he left, another gentleman came by to ask if I was all set up and if there was anything else I needed. With a laugh (and a smile), I said, "Well, quite possibly internet access." The next thing I knew, someone else had come by and I was on the internet. Such hospitality. So here I am, sitting on a sofa, looking out a window with a great view of Belfast, Ireland, writing on a blog. Life can be such an adventure.
After this, we will go get a "spot" of lunch in the city, and then head to the airport for a 2:00 flight back to London. Kieran lives in Brighton, about a 40 minute drive from where we are staying. It's supposed to be a lovely seaside village, so we may have dinner there.

Started my summer reading on this trip. Read "Five People You'll Meet in Heaven". Finished it on the flight from DFW to JFK. Great book. I'll probably read it again. Made me think, which is always good. Started "Velvet Elvis" today. Another book that's making me think. I like the way Rob Bell writes. Thanks to those who recommended this book.

Well, it's just 11:15 in the morning and I'm feeling the affects of flying and little sleep. If this sofa wasn't so out in the open, I might just want to curl up and nap a little. Not sure that would look very good. So I think I'll just get up and walk to the loo. Talk later. Good day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Work in Progress said...

I'm reading your stories out loud and laughing with John. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

We'd so love to be with you!!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Well, the French accent explains it all!!!! =-)

When Mom and I flew to Germany a lady saw our water bottles and said that she had no idea why Americans carried water bottles like baby bottles everywhere! Funny - it's such a normal sight here that I don't even think about it.

Sounds like you are having a lovely time! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

Let's just back off all this "loovre" talk, okay?

:)

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home