Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Right Response

Something I read this morning:
"I think that I can trace every scrap of sorrow in my life to simple unbelief. How could I be anything but quite happy if I believed always that all the past is forgiven, and all the present furnished with power, and all the future bright with hope because of the same abiding facts which do not change with my mood, do not stumble because I totter and stagger at the promise through unbelief, but stand firm and clear with their peaks of pearl cleaving the air of eternity, and the bases of their hills rooted unfathomable in the rock of God. Mont Blanc does not become a phantom or a mist because a climber grows dizzy on its side."

It's embarrassing to admit this, but my mood this week has been one of unbelief. I'm home from a great trip abroad with my husband. Now I've let my mood sink. Jet lag may have something to do with it. Waking up at 4:00 in the morning doesn't help, but really, I'm letting my acl injury steal my joy. The negative vibes are everywhere. I've started trying to rehab my knee, and it hurts. I feel broken, physically and emotionally. And this makes me mad. And scared. I'm afraid of what I need to do to "fix me." And then I remember...with a little help...

At the 5:00 service Sunday night, Dave suggested we read 2 Chronicles 20: 1-30. So I turned to that this morning after reading the above in a devotional. It was obvious to me that I had previously read this passage, as I had underlined and astericked the whole thing. The passage relates about Jehoshaphat, whose situation looked bleak. He and his people were faced with an attack by their enemies, who definitely outnumbered them. "Jehoshaphat was afraid and turned his attention to seek the Lord." (20:3) That was the right response. Jehoshaphat knew God. "O Lord, the God of our fathers, art thou not God in the heavens? And art thou not ruler over all the kingdoms of the nations? Power and might are in thy hand, so that no one can stand against thee. " (20:6) "Thy will hear and deliver us." (20:9) "O our God...we are powerless before this great multitude who are coming against us; not do know what to do, but our eyes are on thee." (20:12)

And God said, "Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God's." (20:15)

Wow.

And God said, "Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out to face them, for the Lord is with you."

Wow.

And how did Jehoshaphat respond? He fell down and worshipped the Lord. He praised Him in a very loud voice. And said, "Give thanks to the Lord, for His lovingkindness is everlasting." (20:21) "And Jehoshaphat was at peace, for God gave him rest on all sides." (20:30)

Peace. Rest. These can be ours. These can be mine. Always. God has not changed because of my mood. His promises are everlasting. What will be my reponse to Him today? What will be yours?

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiehawk77 said...

You got me thinking. Resting in God, in the midst of whatever life brings, is probably one of the purest forms of worship I can offer. What difference does it make if I sing & shout & fall down before Him if I don't really trust Him. Lord, help me rest in you today.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Very true!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Amy of the Hill said...

Thank you, Sue. I SO needed to hear these words today. So often I remind others to rest in God and receice His peace, only to go through a rough time and not heed my own advice. I think I need to meditate on giving thanks to God and allowing HIm to give me rest today.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Amy of the Hill said...

I meant receive, not receice...

11:09 AM  
Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said...

i absolutely love that scripture
thanks for sending me to it!!!!!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home