Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Accidents (@#$%) Happen

Yeah, my summer plans have taken an interesting turn. Now I've been told by my daughters that when I use the word "interesting" it's usually in a negative manner. You might say that's true in this situation.
Monday morning I felt very industrious. I decided to go over to my new room at Valley Ridge and try to do some organizing before August rolled around. You see, this summer we get two extra weeks because the state decided to make a mandatory start date of August 28th. I wanted to use every bit of my August doing something fun, and that didn't include setting up a new classroom. Since Bob was in Mexico this week, I thought it would be a good time to jump start the new room. Now I consider myself a hard worker, but I'm not necessarily the most careful. I sort of go at things like a bull. And I don't like to procrastinate. Oh, and did I say I'm not very patient? Anyway...it took a little skill to put up some wall decorations, well, actually a word wall, in my class. It required that I use a chair, one shelf and then a 4 foot high bookshelf to reach the wall. Are you getting the picture here? Yeah. Well, all was going well until I made a huge mistake. I stepped back, expecting to step on a chair only a short step away, when actually, it was alot of space away. I had forgotten to step down onto another level before the chair. Yeah. Not a pretty sight falling through the air, over the chair, and onto the floor. Even better yet, when I knew immediately I couldn't stand up. I crawled out of my classroom to the hall, which was empty since I was the only teacher crazy enough to be there working. There were, however, construction workers lurking about because of our new wing in process. When I didn't see anyone, I called out "hello?" A man peered around the corner and I yelled "Would you please go the office and get my principal. I fell and I think I broke my leg." He went quickly and my principal came with wheelchair and another teacher right behind her. I called Mish, my darling daughter-in-law, who ran out the door and into the car, with Aleve in hand. In the meantime, I called the Riskey house and got Dan on the phone, asking him about Baylor Grapevine ER, knowing Donna had been there before. We don't go to Lewisville if we can help it. Since my stress level was naturally a bit elevated, I closed my conversation with Dan with "love you, bye!" I got off the phone and my principal asked, "Was that your husband?" I immediately replied, "OH NO! I just said "love you, bye" to my friend's husband!!" We all had a good laugh as I got into the wheelchair.
Mish came quickly and whisked me off to the ER, fighting bumper-to-bumper traffic on 121 and 114. She put the hazard lights on and drove most of the way on the shoulder of the road. Playing classical music, she hoped to calm both of us as the rain poured down in the traffic. At Baylor, x-rays showed no broken bones, so with knee stabilizer on and crutches, and prescriptions in hand, we left the ER. As we were driving out, Dan and Donna were driving in. Dan was so hoping to come into the ER and be asked if he was my husband, to which he wanted very much to say "No, I'm her lover." He couldn't wait to see the reactions of both the nurse and myself. Very funny guy!! That's why I love him...AND Donna!! But not in THAT way.
Now, all of this would be just an interesting way to start the summer, except that...I was scheduled to travel with Bob to Europe on a business trip on Monday. Yeah. Not likely to happen. I went to the orthopedic today and will get an MRI tomorrow. Most likely an MCL, but not ruling out torn cartilage, so says the ortho doctor. But this monster of a leg brace if not very condusive to sightseeing around not-so-handicapped-friendly Europe. So it looks like Bob will be traveling alone again.
Good things will happen again. I've been blessed to have an absolutely wonderful daughter-in-law in Mish who has been working like a dog these past few days helping me. She will make a wonderful mother. I have the best friend in Donna who cooked us a great meal last night. What a blessing we kept saying as Mish and I ate it together. I have a awesome daughter in Pam who got someone to take her workshift so that she could come in a day early on Thursday night to help out. And I have a husband who I know will do what he can so that a trip like this will happen again. He cares for me and wants to share life with me. And right now, I'm so very glad that he is the kind of man who wants to serve the Lord by giving his time on a mission trip. He left not feeling very well, but I'm praying that he's a bit more careful than me!

3 Comments:

Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Sue - I'm so sorry about your mis-step! Yikes! Can I help??? I'm here until Monday if you need me. (But the story did make me giggle - especially the "love you" part to Dan!)

4:12 PM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Thanks for the offer, Lori! Yes, this story did have some humorous moments! Enjoy your trip!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

Wow.

I love you and Bob. But not in THAT way. :)

I love Dan and Donna, too. But not in THAT way. :)

I love Mish, too. But not in THAT way. :)

Great story...and I hope you're feeling up to full Sue speed soon!

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home