Monday, June 18, 2007

A Day at the Museum...in Munich

Today while Bob was working the laser show exhibition, I went into the City Centre of Munich with Antje, a friend of a business associate of Bob's. She's a great traveling partner as she is German and speaks English very well. We took the tram(above ground rail train) from right outside the hotel into the city. Our first stop was the Art Museum. It has been a long time since I visited an art museum, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself on this visit. With my headset on, I was able to hear commentaries on some of my most favorite impressionist paintings. My Art History class at Rutgers, one of my favorites, didn't fail me. Renoir, Monet, Manet, Cezanne...make note to self to tell Bob that we need to visit the Dallas Art Museum. After the museum, we took another tram into the Marienplatz, the main pedestrian shopping center in Old Town Munich. Even though it was just Monday, the area was very crowded. We ate at a little cafe just outside the Glockenspeil. We walked afterwards to an open-air market that is frequented by the locals. Here you can buy all kinds of foods and other items. Very interesting kinds of meat. Some I know I would never even try. Bob is more daring, so I'm sure he would. I have to say, the smells around the market were wonderful. If you like pork, you are in the right place. I think they use every part of the animal. Appetizing?

So now back at the hotel to take a little rest before the guys come back from the show. We'll go out to dinner at some point. I'm hoping to try a little Bavarian cuisine. Bavarian food is tasty, but a little on the heavy side. I'm sure it builds strong bones! Yeah, right.

Tomorrow Antje and I may head off to Nymphenburg Palace, just a tram ride away outside of Munich. Then we will meet up with the guys in late afternoon before heading by car to Weisbaden, about four hours away. Weisbaden is the home of Antje and Paul, Bob's Marlow associate. Bob and I will spend the night in a hotel there, and fly out Wednesday with Paul to Stockholm. Until then!

5 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Will you get to see Robyn?

Oh, yeah, and while the DMA is very nice (I just saw a Jackson Pollack there Friday night!) it's been my experience that most European museums have more of the "famous" artists and more of their works.

8:44 AM  
Blogger cookiehawk77 said...

Sue, could you e-mail me? I have a question concerning my Russia trip that I need answered quickly. Sorry to have to ask!
Carol Hawkins
cm.hawk7@verizon.net

9:45 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Brent,
No, I'm sorry to say I didn't get to see Robyn. She's about 4 hours away, and we were only in Munich a day and a half. Bob was at a laser show exhibition the entire time.
And I have to say, I just don't "get" Jackson Pollack. But then, I'm not really a modern art aficianado.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said...

and i am still wishing we could have connected

1:56 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

I had to go back and read this post about Munich. I know exactly where you went. I really love the museums there (I think I've been to them all). I'm a fan of Durer and Klee. Sounds like a wonderful day!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home