Wednesday, July 11, 2007

We're Off to See the Family!

After 12 years, my family is getting together for another reunion at the beach. Back in 1995, we all ventured down to this relatively unknown area on the Florida Gulf Coast called Cape San Blas. In fact the area is known as the Forgotten Coast. It's in the Florida Panhandle, but hours away from the crowded, more popular areas of Destin and Fort Walton Beach. My parents liked it so much, they actually bought a piece of property back in 1995. They later built a bed and breakfast on the property, which they ran for a few years before selling it for a nice profit for retirement. My parents now live in a small town called Lecanto, about an hour north of Tampa. There my dad gardens (he has the greenest green thumb of anyone I know!) and has taken up oil painting, like his own dad and uncle. He does amazing work, and my brothers and I are all standing in line for one of his paintings. I'm the oldest, so I think I should be at the head of the line!! My mom volunteers at a local elementary school. She always was a good reader! She frequents the town library, and has started in a Curves program. I'm very proud of her.

So on Friday, Bob and I, along with Pam, John and Becca, will make the drive down to the Cape. We plan on stopping for the night in Mobile, Alabama, and possibly visiting the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, Florida. We had been there before in '95, but a new section was not completed, and it looked like it was going to be awesome. Mish and Steve left today, by air, to visit some friends in Miami. They will be renting a car, and driving pretty much the whole length of the state on Saturday. About 9-10 hours worth of driving. But hey, it's a first for them. A new adventure. My brothers are coming in from Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Savannah. There will be 22 of us at this beach house. Yes, it appears big from the picture. But just in case it gets a bit crowded, Steve and Mish are bringing a tent! The families have been emailing "The List" back and forth, adding and signing up for the necessary items. I think we'll have enough food for the entire summer. As well as adult beverages, which might be quite necessary with that many people in one house for a week! But the house is right on the beach, with one of the most beautiful state parks right behind it. They'll be plenty of space for everyone.

Though the house has wireless, I may not be blogging next week. Hopefully the weather will be nice and we won't be inside much. Enjoy your week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home