Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Are we ever to old to learn something new? I hope not.

I am sitting here in a hotel lobby in Milan. It looks like any "normal" hotel lobby that we would find in the states, except that the language is clearly different. I'm in a foreign country and I can't understand the language. I don't like this at all. It makes me feel separate...alone...different...even ignorant. And what makes it worse...most people speak English. Yes, most western Europeans can speak at least two languages, their native and English. Bob's German colleague, Stephan, whom we are traveling with on this trip, speaks German, French, Italian and English, and all very well. He says he dreams in English, not even German. Crazy! I can't even imagine dreaming in another language.

So can it happen? Can I even learn another language now? What will it take for that to happen? I bought a European phrase book in the airport. Common phrases for 14 languages. Do you think that's a start??
Auf Wiedersehen. Au revoir. Ciao!

1 Comments:

Blogger Work in Progress said...

I've heard RosettaStone is pretty good...

:)

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home