Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I Love Pine Cove!

On Saturday, Bob and I went to visit Becca (Greece Monkey) at Pine Cove. It was parents' weekend and we wanted to be up there for closing ceremonies at Ranch Camp. That meant we needed to be there by 9:00 am. So we got an early start and made it there just before the rain poured down. We "surprised" Becca, as she wasn't entirely sure we were coming. Communication with counselors is difficult since cell phone service is not great, and they are limited on the time they can make calls. Pam had been up to see Becca the weekend before and told her we probably would be coming.

It was great to see Becca in action with her campers. This week she had 9 seventh-graders. That's a big cabin. And of all weeks, Becca had been sick. There's something about Pine Cove that makes counselors get sick. Orientation week is intense. And weeks with the campers are activity-filled and emotionally draining. So you can understand why the counselors get hoarse and have sore throats. Becca needed a steroid shot, a Z-pac and an inhaler. Yea, she was feeling pretty puny. But she was hanging in there. She wanted to be up for her girls. We watched and listened while she gave out her "CQ's" (character qualities) to each of her campers. We watched as parents came up and thanked her for being a spiritual leader for their daughter. We even saw one father grab Becca's hand and place a $20 bill in it, squeezing it tight as he hugged her. I was extremely proud as I thought how God was using Becca to make a difference.

During closing ceremonies, one of the directors gave a short talk to the parents. He made a point that stuck with me. He said we need to raise our children "for greatness, not for success." We need to raise them to do great things for God, not for success as the world sees success. It made me ask myself, have I been raising my children to be successful in the world's eyes? Have I encouraged them to make a difference for Christ? Have I myself been enough of a role model for them?

I love Pine Cove. I see what it has done for my children and other youth (and now, adults) from our church. It's a great ministry, not only for the campers, but for the counselors. AND for the parents (me included). The Lord is using Pine Cove in wondrous ways!

4 Comments:

Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

That's a great question for parents! I need to think that one over...am I stressing success or greatness? Wow...

11:15 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

I've always been a big fan of Pine Cove's ministry, both in and through my students and former students.

5:52 AM  
Blogger spartacus21 said...

i love this post..i still remember you going along on our no-agenda retreats! No one can help me cheat at dominoes like Bob!

12:08 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

I loved those no-agenda retreats! Yea, Bob still tries to cheat at dominoes. Actually, our game of choice these days is Rumikub. Michelle loves it and she and Steve drop in to play. She always wants to win, but Steve's the big winner at that game lately.

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home