Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Break from Tradition

After 14 or 15 years in a row (I have forgotten the actual number), our family did not celebrate Thanksgiving with our longtime friends, the Riskeys. This year the Riskeys decided to take advantage of the week off and go on a family vacation to California. Donna and Dan were feeling that the opportunities for vacations together with their children may be fleeting. So off they went. And from what I heard from them when they returned, it was a most enjoyable time.

Thanksgiving dinner, well the bulk of it anyway, was left in my hands this year. We didn't have Donna's famous red jello or her yummy mashed potatoes, but we had most everything else we've had all these past Thanksgiving dinners. I did have to call my mom and get her recipes for the stuffing and gravy. And I have to say, Grandma Blanda's stuffing recipe was a hit. Steve already told me that I have to make the stuffing every year. I wasn't able to get my usual Butterball turkey in time, but the Honeysuckle White was fine. And even though "Uncle Mike" was not here to share the cranberry sauce with me, I found some others who enjoy it as well...Michelle and her dad.

We had nine around the table this year...Bob and I, Steve and Michelle, Pam and John, Becca and Marj and Michael Parenteau, Mish's parents. It was a very nice relaxing, family time. We ate alot, watched the Cowboys beat up on Tampa Bay, and played some games. We also watched lots and lots of "The Office", season 2 plus deleted scenes! Not exactly a Christmas movie, but it made us laugh. Meaghan, Mish's sister and her fiance, Jay (Steve's best man at his wedding!), came over later to play games. Steve and Mish introduced us to a new card game called Dutch Blitz. It's fast and furious. Meaghan,Becca and Bob are all really good at it. Oh, and I have to add that if there was ever a "Friends Trivia" game on TV for money...well, Becca would be rich. I think out of about 50 or more trivia questions, she only missed a handful. She didn't even have to think about most of the questions. Unbelievable.

The Friday after Thanksgiving has always been the day that Donna and I went out shopping, without children in tow, at the wee hours of the morning, only to return at 10:00 at night, exhausted, with Christmas shopping finished... or close anyway. But since she wasn't around this year, I decided to take the break and not deal with the crowds going after the not-so-real-sales. Instead I took the girls, Pam, Becca and Mish, and we left just before lunch and did some shopping for them and significant others. Vista Ridge Mall was our destination, as we tried to stay close, and surprisingly, it was not overly crowded. We took a break and had a nice lunch at La Madeleine's. That's where the most crowds were. Eating out. We got some fun "girl" time in together before we headed home to meet up with the "men folk." They had just returned from an excursion to Rei and Cabela's. Yeah, that's the guys' idea of shopping.

On Saturday, Pam and John headed back down to Austin, and Becca headed back up to Arkansas. Steve and Mish headed back down the street. The house is alot quieter. I miss them. I am so very thankful for my family.

Looking back, I always enjoy Thanksgiving because of the time we get to spend with our families and friends. We are very thankful that we had been able to keep our Thanksgiving tradition with the Riskeys going for these many years. We treasure the great memories that we have made. When can traditions start? Any time. Maybe it's time to make some new ones. The young couples will start their own. I just pray that I can still be part of theirs. Maybe as long as I keep the stuffing recipe under wraps...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home