Friday, July 25, 2008

Today is one of the reasons why I don't want to retire in North Texas. Apparently this July is one of the hottest on record. I just received my electric bill with service dates of 6/10-7/10. Bob and I were not at home for most of that time period. We set the thermostat on 80 when we are traveling. Yet I received the highest electric bill in the 22 years we've been in this house. And we don't have a large house by FloMo standards. It kills me to pay that bill.

But now, to add insult to injury as the saying goes (I think)...on one of the hottest days of the month, our a/c compressor stops. We have no air conditioning in our house. And there's 5 people here right now. Five pretty sweaty people. Very soon, cranky people. Bob and John thankfully left this morning for air conditioned offices. Pam, Becca and I will brave the heat. Poor Becca. She has the added sweat-making back brace, complete with foam and plastic surrounding the upper half of her body. And she can't go in the pool. I thought about sleeping in the pool last night, but I didn't think it'd be safe.

Well, the a/c guy is coming out today. I'm looking forward to air conditioning, but not to the price of a new unit. Our old unit gave us a good 17 years or so. We had to fill it with freon on several occasions, and we knew it would soon have to be replaced. But why do these things always happen at the most inconvenient time? Please don't tell me character building.

4 Comments:

Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Craig and I were talking about when our A/C compressor went out on FATHER'S DAY when the boys were young. His parents were here visiting. Talk about sweaty, cranky people!

Sorry about the A/C. 17 years is a pretty long time to get good service!

I agree with you on not wanting to retire in N. TX. Ick. My power bill last month was one of the highest I've ever had for June and to add insult to injury, we weren't even here for 10 days of the bill and had our A/C set higher than normal! I dread getting this month's bill. I may have to take out a loan.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

Is there ever a convenient time for these type of things?

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is never a convenient time. But, I must say, you got a lot of mileage out of that one. I know Bob is handy, but I don't think this is something he can fix...but I'm sure he thought of it.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Free and Living said...

it's 70 degrees tonight, and we have some fans going to circulate the outside air in. no a/c units here. but it does stink on a really hot day and/or night!

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home