Wednesday, July 09, 2008

When in Rome...

Okay, well, I'm not actually in Rome, nor do I plan on being there this trip. But I am in Italy, though northern Italy, which I hear is very different from southern Italy. Probably like comparing a Yankee and a Texan. In the few days I've been here in Milan, I have made these observations. Forgive me for generalizing a bit, though, I don't think I'm that far off.

When in Italy, to be like a native, I would ...

> have to drive fast and crazy. Forget the road signs, of which there are way too many (and who can read them anyway?) and just drive however you like. No one follows the rules of the road. As long as you don't kill anyone, you're okay. Taking a taxi anywhere in the city is like going on a ride at Six Flags, complete with the strong grip on Bob's hand. The cabbies drive anywhere they like, even if the road belongs to the trams. Riding the tram rails, slamming on the brakes inches from the tram. Oh yes, now that's a taxi ride.
> have to park my car in a different spot every day. Parking is a real problem in the city. Cars are parked everywhere. Literally every empty possible spot. That could mean on the grass somewhere, or on a sidewalk. And the cars are nose to nose. If you can't parallel park, forget it. I think I'd just park my car once and leave it there forever. I'm not sure I could get in and out of the spot without damaging it or another car.
> have to smoke. Italians love their cigarettes. Tobacco bars seem to be on every corner. The country is in the process of passing smoke-free laws and that won't be very popular. So people congregate on the sidewalks and in front of restaurants and smoke.
> have to love to eat late and linger over a meal. The whole "eating late" idea is prevalent in Europe, but taking 4 hours to eat a meal is not something we are used to in the states. Last night we went to eat in the center city of Milan. The restaurant was in a very pretty area along the canal. The Romans had built the canals centuries and centuries ago. Our reservation was at 8:00 pm. Menus consist of about 4-5 courses. We didn't leave until midnight. It wasn't that we took that long to eat. Service is slow. Italians are not in a hurry (unless they are driving). Eating is expected to be an "experience worth enjoying." So at midnight, upon leaving the restaurant and hailing a taxi, one would see that the city was still wide awake. On a weekday, stores were still open. People were still walking around as if it were 7:00 at night. Crazy. I will tell you that my body is not used to getting in bed at 1:00 am and waking at 7:00 am.
> have to love my native language. Italians love their language. They seem to talk louder and more demonstrative. Not as many Italians know English. I found that out a few times on my excursion into the city yesterday. I walked into a tobacco bar to purchase a tram ticket. The shopkeeper didn't understand me and called over a younger female assistant. Her English was very limited though she was probably in her early 20's. While I was walking around the city, I had a few people come up to me and ask me something in Italian. They couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand them. I didn't enjoy that feeling.
> have to engage in PDA. Oh yes, Italians are romantics or so I've heard. PDA is everywhere, and across all ages.
> have to love graffiti. There is graffiti everywhere! It seems that not one building is spared. It's all over the city. Some of it is art actually, but much is just writing. I have to say that it takes away from the beauty of the city and gives it a "dark" feeling.
> have to love wine. No problem there. Bob and I were introduced to a new drink that we are surely going to have to find in the states. But you can only drink so much of it...

Bob and I are going to have an opportunity to sightsee a bit in Milan later this afternoon before we go back to Germany tomorrow. There's a Duomo (cathedral) and some other interesting sights. Apparently Leonardo DaVinci's original Last Supper is displayed somewhere in the city. We're sure there are some pretty areas of the city. We just need to explore.

Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home