Friday, March 09, 2007

On the top

My devotional this morning had to be shared...

"Crushing weights give the Christian wings. It seems like a contradiction in terms, but it is a blessed truth. David out of some bitter experience cried: 'Oh, that I had wings like a dove for then I would fly away and be at rest.' (Ps. 55:6) But before he finished this meditation, he seems to have realized that his wish for wings was a realizable one. For he says, "Cast they burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee.'

The word "burden" is translated in the Bible as "what he (Jehovah) hath given thee." The saints' burdens are God-given; they lead him to "wait upon Jehovah," and trust. The burden becomes a pair of wings and the weighed one "mounts up with wings as eagles."

This is a picture I needed to "see" today. The load we think will crush us was sent to lift us up to God. My place is not beneath the load, but on the top.

3 Comments:

Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

I needed to see that, too. Thanks, Flower Mound Mom!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Work in Progress said...

Isaiah 40 has some of my favorite words in the Bible. An oh-so-subtle reminder of Who God Is. "Do you not know? Have you not heard?"
Okay, maybe it's not so subtle. But that's really what I like about it.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen. true. and sure. i love truth...the way it gives us wings and sets us free.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home