Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Change is not always good

Since I had the day off on Monday, I decided to update my iPod with new music. Becca had given me a gift card to iTunes, but I hadn't taken the time to buy some new songs. Anyway...I thought I'd go through the charts, the top 100 songs from the years past, starting with the 60's. It was fun to see what the top songs were from my "early years" (when I first listened to music on my transister radio), my high school years, college years and then "young married years." I mean, I'm spanning decades here. There was alot of music.

But I made one observation that was somewhat sad. As I got closer to the more recent years, the number of songs with explicit lyrics increased tremendously. Before the 1980's and most of the 1990's, I don't think there were any on the top 100 with explicit next to the title. But the 2000's were filled with them. Why do we need this? Does it make a song more marketable? To whom? It just saddens me because at this rate, the majority of songs on the top 100 charts in the future will contain lyrics that not only do not edify, but tear down and demean. So sad.

Well, I did get to update my songs with a mix of some "golden oldies" and some newer music. My playlist is very eclectic. Rather bizarre actually. But it sure makes exercising on the eliptical machine go much faster.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

As a card-carrying member of GenX who avoids "good old days" syndrome at all costs...

...some of those "golden oldies" were highly subversive (don't think so? check out "Yakkety Yak" by the Coasters...loaded with heroin references and anti-authority statements. I could give you plenty of examples, but that's one everyone knows) and the envelope-pushing in popular music began in the late 60's/early 70's. It's nothing new, it's simply more frank.

Now, I do think there's a marketability, particularly in urban music, to maintain a "street cred" that does indeed require explicit lyrics. And since hip-hop & hip-hop culture is what sells, that's what gets in the top 100.

But anti-authority statements in music are always one-upping each other, and that's why lyrics are the way they are. Eventually, the pendulum will swing back and the way to be anti-authority will be to NOT use foul language. It's already starting if you look at some of the more popular music that isn't urban.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Oh I'm not naive to think that music from years ago did not contain lyrics that were highly suggestive or anti-authority. Remember, I grew up in the 60's and 70's. But what I find offensive now is the foul language. I personally don't think it's necessary, doesn't enhance the music, but then maybe that's why I don't care that much for most rap and hip-hop. Just a personal preference.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Work in Progress said...

Foul language is not the only reason I don't care for rap and hip hop...

:)

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the "golden oldies" i.e., songs from the 40"s and 50"s. At least I can understand the words and the songs have a meaning. I'm not sure if I even know what "hip hop" is. So glad I'm not "in tune" to what's happening today.

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home