Tuesday, March 13, 2007

26 years ago...

26 years ago, at 9:04 pm, after 28 hours of intense labor, my first-born child was born. Like many new parents in the early 80's, Bob and I did not know the sex of our child prior to the birth. Sonograms were usually only performed if there was a suspected need. We had an "old-fashioned" doctor in Dr. Robert Doty in Richardson. (He passed away several years ago, some years after he delivered our third child, Becca.) Bob and I really wanted a boy as our first child. Of course, we would have been just as happy with a girl, but for some reason, I thought a boy would be nice as an older sibling to the girl I hoped to have also. And I thought it would be great for Bob to have his oldest be a son. (Both turned out to be true.)

So on Friday the 13th of March, in 1981, at 9:04 in the evening, our 7 lb. 15 1/2 oz., 21 inches long son was born. We named him Steven Charles, after my brother Steve and Bob's father Charles. A funny little fact was that I was also born on Friday the 13th (in April) and born at the same time, only in the morning.

We brought home our first born, placed him in his bassinet and sat down in the living room of our house in Richardson. Bob and I looked at each other from across the room, and simultaneously realized that we were now parents and had to take care of this little human being. We were only 24 and 25. We immediately called his mother. I think she was on the next plane from New Jersey to Dallas. She stayed for a week or so, and then my mom took the next shift. By then, we were ready to take on this new adventure. And what an adventure it has been. Steve was your typical active boy, playing with the guys in the neighborhood, coming home all scraped up and dirty. As a toddler, he pushed the limits. We broke a few wooden spoons. He was athletic and artistic, curious and funny. (Mommy, I'm full.) His teenage years were like being on a roller coaster at times. (And I don't like roller coasters.) But he has turned into a young man that has made us extremely proud. A man searching to know God. A man with a heart for people. He's still athletic, artistic, curious and funny. We love him and are very thankful that he came into our lives 26 years ago.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE-O! ( By the way, I gave him that name.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

He's still artistic, curious, & funny with a heart for people, searching to know God. Not much has changed in 26 years, eh?

6:13 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

i try to be consistent. thanks mom. i really looking forward to dinner tonight.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Free and Living said...

thank you for having him!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home