Saturday, April 07, 2007

Is this really Texas???

It's Easter weekend in Dallas, and it snowed. Yes, real flakes, though of course it didn't stick. But it was fun to watch for the moment. It made me laugh, for the moment. Then I thought of all the planting I wanted to get done this weekend. I still bought plants, but they're all in my garage, waiting for the normal spring weather. Bob and I have lived in Texas for 29 years, and we can't remember it ever "snowing" on Easter. It was cold, but we still hit Home Depot and Lowe's garden areas, along with Calloways and Strong's Nurseries. The real die hard gardeners were there braving the cold, believing that 70 degree weather was just around the corner. I actually got some real bargains at Lowe's in Flower Mound. They put ALL their plants, flowers and trees 50% off this weekend because of the weather. Most everything was still viable and would do just fine, so it was a good deal. Now I have even more to plant. What was I thinking?

Well, there were times today that Bob and I were rethinking our plans on attending sunrise service tomorrow. Apparently it's still on, though I imagine there will be fewer people there. Today I thought of all those moms who went out and bought cute Easter outfits for their children, only to have to cover them up with coats they'll have to dig out again. I was brought up in New Jersey and Easter outfits usually included a coat and Easter hat. It was still cool there that time of year. In fact, I can remember having a blizzard on my birthday in April. But this is Texas and we're not used to cold weather in April. Today at Home Depot in Lewisville, the sales guy, Roy, was from Chicago. He said he was out in a t-shirt today. He said this weather was "nothing like up north." Didn't know why anyone was complaining. He thought it was great. Yeah, well...it's April, and this really is Texas. So bring back that 70 degree weather. I've got a garden to plant.

Happy Easter everyone! He is risen! He is risen indeed!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

I was surprised at how many people came to the sunrise, but to me hearing that particular story watching that particular sunrise (see my blog for photos) made braving the 40 degree weather worth any chilly-ness that worth enduring.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home