Saturday, August 25, 2007

Everyone's Moving But Me

I'm not moving very fast these days. I've set up camp on the sofa in my family room. Bob did take me out to Einsteins this morning for coffee. Didn't want to miss another Saturday morning date. But now I'm back home, leg up in the motion machine, ice packs on and meds taken. Now what? Well, I'm watching Becca pack for her semester in Florence. She's a good packer, having had much experience with all her travels with soccer. She thinks packing is over-rated since it's only taking her about an hour to pack for four months. My guess is she will probably forget something. But she has told us that Italy is not a third world country. She's leaving Monday and will return December 16th. I'll miss her, but I keep reminding myself she's just off at school.
Steve and Mish leave the very next day. Yeah, it's going to be a rough week for me. I am excited for them. They've got this darling apartment picked out and waiting for them. They have family up there already in Jay and Meaghan. Portland is supposed to be a great place to live, and I know they will love it there. Does that scare me a bit? I'll be honest, yes. I want them to be very happy there. I am praying that they find a church and a group of friends to hang with. I'm praying that Steve finds a job that he loves to go to everyday. The typical "mother's prayer list" goes on and on. But included in that prayer list is the hope that Bob and I can get used to not seeing them on a regular basis. They've spoiled us. They started off their marriage less than mile from us. They visited us weekly, popping in with Harley either on bike or on foot. We ate together, we played together, and sometimes we just sat and did nothing but have a sudoku "quiet time" together. I am very thankful for these past two years. I know that our relationship is stronger because of these moments, and I know that no matter how far away they move, we will always be close. Seeing them will just take a little bit more effort, but I know it will be well worth it. But keep this menopausal mother in your prayers this week as her first-born and only son takes flight. It'll be a bit tough and emotional, made more so because of the fact that I am not so mobile and have little to keep my mind busy. I am determined though to rehab enough to be in good shape to trek all over Portland come Thanksgiving time!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

You only have to re-hab your knee enough to get from bus/tram stop to bus/tram stop. They've got GREAT public transportation!

But, it will be an interesting week for you. I'll be praying!

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when my "first born" and only daughter took flight practically right after the ceremony and honeymoon. Having you close by was never a luxury I enjoyed, but I did have you close by in spirit and in my heart, in fact, I still do. You'll be fine!!!

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home