Monday, September 24, 2007

Shredding the Past

I spent a good part of this past weekend shredding my life. Well, not really. But I did go through a lot of old files, shredding papers and filling up a few large garbage bags. It felt really good. Like a cleansing. I'm really trying to minimalize my life. It's really amazing how much "stuff" we kept "just in case we ever need it."

Was it really necessary for us to keep all our tax returns since...1978? Oh my, what were we thinking? We don't need any of Steve and Pam's old pay stubs, though it was fun to remember all the places they worked since middle school. Old check registers...trash. They do say a lot about how you live your life. Receipts for items we no longer own...shredded.

One thing I came across that I thought was particularly funny, my resume from 1979. How young and inexperienced was I to list my weight on my resume. Of course, if I weighed that now, I'd love to put that on a resume! Just kidding. I know better.

I'm not sure if it's because Bob and I truly feel like empty nesters since Mish, Steve, Pam and John all moved away, and Becca's over in Italy for the semester, but I want to clean out all the "stuff" that has accumulated over the years. Now I have had many garage sales, but there's always been those items that we've held onto "just in case." Well, I'm feeling like it's time to unload. I have this fear that the attic is going to fall into the garage. I don't think the kids are going to want the old crib. Or my old desk that I've had since I was little. Can you say IKEA?

I'm trying to convince Bob to have a garage sale. It takes a lot of convincing. He doesn't like having them. But he's a good sport and will get up in the attic and bring down everything to sell. I'll do my part and make sure he doesn't have to put anything back up there.

I feel a few pounds lighter already. :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

you're having a garage sale without me! you know i'm the queen of minimalizing!!! xoxo, mishy

6:36 PM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

I'm glad you signed YOUR name on this comment. I saw Steve's name and read "queen" and got scared for a second.
You are a great garage sale partner. I will miss you!!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do NOT get rid of the old crib!! that is going to be repainted and used for my potential child, whenever that will be!! seriously...antiques are better than ikea any day.

boo boo

4:17 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Becca Boo,

Do you want me to leave the teeth marks Steve made on the crib?

Love you!

5:07 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

Strange, but Steve also left teeth marks on his desk at work CBC...

...Becca, do you want me to save that, too?

:)

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you ever get rid of the crib or your old desk. You'll be so sorry if you do and the kids will never forgive you. Things that were made "way back then" are so much better that anything made today that comes in cartons to be put together. I can remember getting rid of stuff that you later were annoyed about. We learned the hard way, learn by our mistakes. I can remember so many things that I got rid of in the garage sale only to wish I had them back. When I go to garage sales, I see things and say, I used to have that. Let the kids go up there and choose whatever they want and then maybe you can have a sale. Forget the attic for awhile. Anyway, just wanted to add my two cents. As far as shredding, I only a few months ago, shredded checks from 1966 and I still had all my income tax returns from when Grandpa Jacina used to do my taxes (1954). (You never know). I'm sorry you caught my disease. P.S. Dad now has a "burn barrel" in the back. We burnt out one shredder and don't want to do another.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Ya wanna come to my house and have a shredding party? I have much to shred...ugh.

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who still has the baby crib. I can't seem to part with the one I own. But I can't believe either boy will ever want to use it for their kiddos.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Work in Progress said...

I can't believe you got rid of pay stubs!!! Those are priceless!

:)

I'm with Boo boo...keep the crib. Please? I still love that I have the dresser from Becca's room, complete with the Precious Moments drawer liner. It only need some touch up and new handles, and it's beautfiul. I told Dad I'll claim that curio someday...it's like keeping my family close all the time.

I LOVE YOU!!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said...

i am so glad that i kept what i kept- but i am so glad that i got rid of what i got rid of...
empty nesting
it is soooo
hummm
free...

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes brent, i'll take steve's desk with the teeth marks as well... :)

b. boo

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home