Thursday, September 06, 2007

A Gift Bestowed from Above

Twenty-four years ago, I arrived at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas at 3:00 in the morning. It was Labor Day weekend. How appropriate. I was big and quite swollen after a long, hot, pregnant summer, and I was ready to meet my second child. My labor with Steve had been a very long 28 hours. My obstetrician, Dr. Doty, had told me that my second labor should be shorter. How much shorter, well, he didn't know, but even cut in half, it was still long. Back then, Bob and I didn't know the sex of our baby before the birth. Most of my friends didn't know. Sonograms were only done when there was a problem. So it was always a surprise to us. Having a son already, we were hoping for a girl.

My labor was pretty intense. This baby decided that she wanted to come out into the world with her head up. No looking down for this child! She was "sunny-side up" as the doctor explained. Great, but all that did was give me extreme back labor pains. After nearly eighteen hours of labor (see, it was shorter!), our beautiful daughter was born at 4:23 in the afternoon, September 6th, 1983. Weighing in at 8 lbs. 13 oz., and measuring 20 3/4 inches long, the nurses were astounded that I carried such a baby on my petite 116 lb. frame. Yeah, I was a lot smaller then! Of course, I didn't weigh that little when I delivered, but you get the idea.

Pamela Sue was gorgeous, with lots of dark brown hair like her brother. She was a serious baby the first 18 months, and then turned out to be extremely sociable as a toddler. She loved being with her older brother who made her laugh all the time, except when he would pull her out of her baby seat and drag her around the house before she could crawl. Once she could walk at 9 months, she was all over the place. She adjusted easily to new places and new people. Extremely outgoing and intelligent, she was reading books to her classmates in kindergarten. She was a model student, loved by her teachers and friends. She was adventurous, and not one to hold back from a new experience. She tried many sports and other activities and excelled in them all.

It's hard to describe Pam's life without mentioning her struggle with cancer as a child. Why, because the experience has shaped her into the young woman she is today. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the times I have been so very proud of her in her lifetime. But the way she handled herself throughout her cancer treatment is at the top. Now we all truly believe that God's hand was on Pamela the entire time. He orchestrated, but she obeyed. Her obedience and faith developed her into the woman she is today. She is compassionate and loving. Intelligent and passionate. And a woman seeking to know God more.

Pam is truly a gift from God, as all three of my children have been to us and those that know them.

Pamela Sue, Pamela Sue
Don't know what I'm gonna do,
My Pammy, My Pammy Sue.
'Cause I love you girl,
Yes, you're my Pammy Sue!

Happy 24th Birthday!

3 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Happy birthday, Pammy!

And, Sue, from what I've observed, all those things you mentioned in the third paragraph are still true about her...

9:37 AM  
Blogger Work in Progress said...

When John told me that you wrote about me for my birthday, I waited until I was in my pj's, cozy on the couch, with my feet propped up before I read this.

Thank you so much for knowing me well and loving me just the same. I am never unaware of the great love that you have for your children.

When I see you next, will you sing me that song? :)

5:05 AM  
Blogger Free and Living said...

Pammy is a really great gift from God!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home