Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Kids are Cool

Kids are definitely more honest than adults. Yes, I find that out most days at school.

Yesterday I got my hair cut and colored. It's a bit darker than I'm used to. I was apprehensive about walking into school today. You never know what kids will say. They notice the little things. And they say what they think. Unlike many adults I know. I thought that if I got any negative remarks I'd just tell them it was part of my Halloween costume. I'm going "goth" this year.

Well, the girls are the first to notice. Some of them can remember exactly what you wore a week ago Friday. But somehow I can't get them to remember their multiplication facts. Very strange. Well, I got a few "You got your hair cut" and then nothing else. Hmm...then I had two of my students discussing my new color and whether I should keep it or not. One said yes, the other said no. Okay, by this time I'm not feeling very good about this new look. Later in the morning, I walked into my fifth grade classroom and all eyes turned to see me come in the door. Eyes widened as I tried to look inconspicuous. Fat chance. One of the more talkative boys looked at me and said "you changed your hair!" I just smiled and turned my attention to the other teacher in the room. (She was talking to the class.)

All day, not one adult mentioned my new do. That usually means that either they didn't notice (though it was quite different) or they were just being polite and didn't want to lie and say they liked it. Okay, I can certainly live with that. I've been in that same position before.

But back to kids...as I'm leaving school today, walking through the cafeteria, one of my fifth grade boys yells out my name to say goodbye to me from across the room. I wave goodbye to him and start out the door. But all of a sudden, he's alongside me and asks "Mrs. Davis, did you get your hair cut?" I said "yes" to which he replies with a big smile, "It's very cool!" I thanked him, but I really wanted to hug him. Like I said, kids are cool.

5 Comments:

Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Don't you hate it when no one says anything about a new do? I really hate it when the only comment is "You got your hair cut!" Which usually means, "What were you thinking???"

One evening while sitting at a meeting, I could tell that this little girl (about 5) was looking at me very carefully. I thought maybe she thought I was pretty cool or something. Then she very thoughtfully looks at me and asks, "Why is your nose so BIG?" Yup. Forget the ego here. I was crushed. By a 5 year old. At least I can giggle about it now!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Kids say the darndest things!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mom, post a pic of your new do! i wanna see :) or i'll just see you in few weeks...that works too!

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sue, I'd like to see a pic of your new hairdo as well....and I won't be seeing you in a few weeks, so please post one if you can. Anyway, any way you cut it, I'm sure it's beautiful.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Work in Progress said...

Mama, a couple nights ago, I was laying in bed with little Jack (he's almost 4!), and we were just talking. He played with my hair and told me stories. Then he said, "Pam, I like your nose." I said thank you, and he continued..."It's so BIG. I mean, it really is BIG." (emphasis his)

I could only smile.

You know that Liz Stevenson still carries embarassment from telling Dad that his nose is big?

What is it about noses?

By the by, I need pix of your "cool" do...

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home