Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Weekend

There are just never enough hours in a weekend. A friend of mine at school said she saw a t-shirt on a student that she wishes she had to wear...except at school. It read " School - the annoying thing between weekends." I actually like my work (at school), but I love my weekends. Maybe because I'm around kids all week (or adults all week), but my time on the weekends is precious. And since I'm an emptynester, I seem to have more control over what I do on the weekends. You did read the word "seem," right? Yeah, we really don't have as much control as we think.

This weekend, Bob had his account manager from China in town for training. He flew in on Saturday, and Bob picked him up from the airport. We wanted to take him to dinner and asked him what food he would like to eat. His answer...Chinese. So we went to P.F. Chang's in Grapevine. I think the gentleman was disappointed. Apparently his Mongolian Beef was nothing like what he is used to in China. He was extremely polite, but you could tell P.F. Chang's just wasn't as authentic as we would have hoped. Today, Bob picked him up for lunch, and then by his request, Bob took him for a tour of the Gaylord Texan. That place is always a big hit with non-Americans.

In between hosting this Chinese gentleman, Bob and I spent a good deal of time doing yardwork. The price of home ownership. Well, you know how one project leads to another? We had bought some shrubs at the Home Depot Landscape store that's going out of business in Lewisville. We planned on planting them along the fence by the pool. Well, wouldn't you know it but that's exactly where some sprinkler heads are located. So...this weekend, Bob dug trenches and re-routed the sprinkler pipe and heads. Not an easy job when there's tree roots all over the place. But he did it, and planted the shrubs. While he was tackling tree roots, I was planting five flats of pansies and a host of other plants I got at Home Depot Landscape (second weekend in a row, but my last trip, honest!) Now I haven't done much yardwork since my surgery 9 weeks ago, so needless to say, the yard needed it. But my body wasn't used to it yet. Sunday morning was tough. Bob and I both ached. We do not have great "weekend warrior" bodies we had years ago. Well, maybe I never had one at all. Anyway, we are going back to work tomorrow with aching backs and shoulders, and a slew of mosquito bites. So much for a weekend. I still need to clean the house. Oh well...I guess there's always next weekend. Unless something more interesting comes up!

4 Comments:

Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

I wonder who serves authentic asian cuisine in the Metroplex? But authentic or not, I do like P.F. Changs.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Work in Progress said...

I wouldn't sniff at the lack of authentic Chinese food in America...after all, I don't go to China looking for an American burger. Then again, there aren't very many American immigrants to China...so I can understand his disappointment.

Better luck next time?

Oh, and I'll try not to call again in the middle of Dad's sprinkler line up-rooting. :)

5:12 PM  
Blogger Free and Living said...

when steve and i visit in may, we are eating at noodle swing every night. i miss that place like crazy! but i miss you and dad a lot more (and that's a whole lot!)

1:01 AM  
Blogger Flower Mound Mom said...

Mish,
We had take out from Noodle Swing on Thursday night, our TV night. It made me think of you and I really missed you both! Can't wait to see you in November.

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home