Friday, October 05, 2007

A Case for Using Sunscreen

Growing up as a teen, I didn't use sunscreen. In fact, I did the total opposite. I lathered myself in baby oil and baked for that much desired tan. Though New Jersey wasn't known as a land of sun and sand, I spent a good deal of time on the beach at Montauk in Long Island. It's near the place where they "filmed" the movie Jaws. I can't tell you how many times my skin peeled from sunburns. Well, fast forward 30 years, and I'm paying the price.

I have preached to my children about the dangers of not wearing sunscreen. But alas, the ultimate golden tan is still cherished by many. So maybe if they saw what I have to go through now, just maybe, that would change their minds. Yesterday I had to have a very tiny area of skin cancer removed from my nose. Well, it appeared tiny. Today I had to have the plastic surgeon repair the area. No small matter anymore. The plastic surgeon seemed like a nice guy with a good sense of humor. He showed me some before and after pictures. I told him if they were gross that I didn't want to see them. He said too bad, that it was all part of the deal. The pictures were gross, but I'm glad I saw the after picture. It's going to take at least two surgeries to get it right. I have to go back next week to get the stitches out, then come back in another 3 weeks for another surgery. All because of one, little spot that appeared a year ago and didn't go away.

So right now, half my mouth is numb. A stop at Smoothie King was good. I've got gauze bandages covering half of my left side of my face. I'm writing this blog under the influence of hydrocodone, so please don't hold me liable for anything that doesn't make sense.

Bottom line: Be smart. Use sunscreen. ( As told in a loving, motherly tone of voice.) :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said...

ouch!
I've had to have 2 places removed. Yep, both on my arms though. And I didn't do the whole baby oil tanning skin thing - i can't imagine what it would be like if I had. My sister's all did, but I was too busy playing volleyball or basketball. Now? I wish I had the energy to do that. Skin... Such an important organ. And we take it so much for granted.
It is no small matter what you are doing. I prayed for you.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

In my house, with the fair-skinned McKinney children, Charlotte the Scar not only demanded sunscreen (which, in the 70's wasn't all that great) but also long sleeves.

Yeah...

...I was the kid playing 2nd base in July wearing a long-sleeve, turtlenecked shirt underneath my baseball jersey.

...or swimming in the ocean with a t-shirt and having to come inside between 11AM and 2:30PM.

Oddly, I'm grateful now. But manalive was I a bitter kid.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Amy of the Hill said...

What a bummer! I hope you don't have to go through this ever again! You've been through a lot this year!

I never baked in the sun as a kid, but have had to have four pre-melanoma moles removed as well as several "scrapings" of suspicious moles. Now I have a spot on my calf that my nurse friend swears is skin cancer. Ughh!! I feel like a walking scar! Oh well. I guess I'd better be sure to lather my kids up with sunscreen all the more!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

So sorry about the scraping and such. How great is it, though (on a brighter note), that they can actually do the repair work???

I grew up in South Carolina - a definite surf and sun kinda place. I not only used baby oil, but mixed iodine in with it (did that really matter??).

Ugh. What was I thinking??? (I won't even mention the times I used AFRO SHEEN to tan with...)

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home